I/B wrestling team medals 6 of 8 wrestlers
December 16, 2020
The Ipswich/Bowdle wrestling team competed in Faulkton on December 12, at the Faulkton Invitational. Eight athletes competed Saturday and six returned home with medals.
Grant Weisser and Brady Unser placed fourth and led the team scoring with 14 and 10 points, respectively. Kadyn Weisser, Lucas Rowland, and Tanner Frickson all finished fifth, scoring 9, 7 and 5 team points each. Lane Miller placed sixth scoring 4 team points registering his first varsity victory as a Tiger.
The team placed ninth out of eleven teams at the tournament. Coach Todd Naasz said “I was pleasantly surprised at the number of placers we had. I knew they had the potential to do well at this tournament. It was nice to see the athletes working hard to achieve the expectations that we have of them and that they have of themselves.”
Naasz said there are several positive points with this young team thus far in the season. “One of the greatest positives was, being privileged to see our athletes being allowed to compete in a sport they love. I felt that our attitude and effort was a very positive thing. Another positive was seeing where our athletes’ strengths were and what we can continue to improve upon in the following week. I am expecting to clean up a few things this week that will make a big improvement going into the next tournament.”
The Tigers will be in action twice next week. Thursday, Dec. 17, the team will complete in a quadrangular in Groton with a 6 p.m. start time. Saturday, Dec. 19, the team will travel to Lemmon for a 10 a.m. start. Naasz is looking forward to these opportunities, “I will be excited to see how they perform as a team in our wrestling quad on Thursday. I am looking forward to going to Lemmon next weekend to see some competition that we never have seen, or do not normally get to see until the State Wrestling Meet.” Covid restrictions are not known at this time, please contact the school for this information.
I/B wrestlers results were:
• 106- Lane Miller was pinned, 1:59; won 5-1; was pinned, 1:31; was pinned, 2:14 for sixth place and four team points.
• 113- Brady Unser, bye; lost 6-5; won by pin, 1:00; lost 12-3 for fourth place and 10 team points.
• 132- Tanner Frickson lost 2-1; lost 5-4; won 7-0 for fifth place and five team points.
• 152- Adam Kanable was pinned, :21; was pinned, :59.
• 170- Grant Weisser won by pin, 3:06; was pinned, 1:43; won by pin, :47; was pinned, 2:17 for fourth place and 14 team points.
• 182- Kadyn Weisser, bye; lost 21-8; won 6-3; lost 8-1; won by pin, 4:15 for fifth place and nine team points.
• 182- Justin Rohrbach was pinned, :11; won by pin, 2:39; lost 6-3.
• 285- Lucas Rowland, bye; was pinned, 1:53; was pinned, 3:44; won by pin, 1:45 for fifth place and seven team points.